DISTRACTION is anything that can be used to take your attention from the real thing. You should take a lesson from the life of Paul the Apostle. In Philippians 3, Paul said, “this one thing I do.” A man of focus is the man that can say “This one thing I do.” That “one thing” is the thing that is on the agenda of God for you which He has asked you to do at that time. When you deviate from it into other things, you have been distracted. The following are things that will keep you from distractions in life.
1. Know your calling in life (Ephesians 1:17-18): You must understand the specific call of God for your life. This will keep you from running another man’s race. There are many people today running the race of another man. What they are doing is not what God called them to do. You will give account of the call of God over your life.
2. Understand your identity (1 Corinthians 15:10): One day, Satan appeared to the Lord Jesus and said, “If you are the son of God…” The intention of Satan was to confuse Jesus of His identity in order to deceive him, but Jesus was never confused about His identity; He did not need to prove anything to show that He was the son of God. You must understand your identity. This is what God calls you to do. It does not matter what you are going through right now, if you understand who you are under God, the strength of your identity will pull you through. God told Jeremaiah, “I ordained you a prophet unto the nations.” Make sure you are not comparing yourself with any other person, no matter what. You are unique under God; seek to understand your identity from the Lord and live in the light of that. A man who does not know his identity will put round pegs in square holes.
2. Know the main issue in your life now (Acts 6:3-4): God does not tell you what is next on your agenda, instead He tells you what is next on His own agenda for you. Whatever takes you from the agenda of God for your life is a distraction. Be focused, don’t meddle in what does not concern you.
3. Separate the most important issue in your life from the urgent matters: Know the important issue in God’s plan for your life now and follow it. The most important issue may not be the urgent- do not allow the devil to push you into what is urgent but not important.
4. Know your own people: There are some people that God has ordained for you to help you make your destiny happen. When these men are absent in your life, wrong people will come into your life. What the devil could not do ordinarily, he will use wrong people to accomplish in your life. (Gen. 38; Deut. 33:7) Wrong people will break your focus and distract you.
PRAYER: Father, I receive grace in the name of Jesus to know the people you have ordained for my destiny.
BIBLE IN A YEAR: 1 Chronicles 9:1-10:14, Acts 27:21-44, Psalm 8:1-9, Proverbs 18:23-24